Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe by Paula Deen on Food Network. A recipe for the Key Lime Cooler Cookies was provided by Bliss. (Thanks so much Bliss).
- 24 key lime coolers cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fill 2 (12-muffin) mini muffin tins with paper cups and spray with cooking spray.
- Place 1 Key Lime Cooler cookie in the bottom of the cup, flat side down.
- Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, lime juice and zest until well mixed.
- Fill the cups to the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove tarts to cool.
- When completely cool, top with whipped cream.
- (I use a pastry bag and star tip).
I loved the key lime flavor, but I used a store bought lemon cookie for the base to save time. I also put a little lemon zest and crushed graham crackers on top of the whipped cream to "pretty it up!" The only problem with it (for me) is that it my originally hard cookie seemed a little gushy. Maybe WV Carrie's suggestion is better. Don't know yet. Will serve again!
Because of the other comments about this recipe, I added an extra tablespoon of key lime juice to the filling to add a little extra "bite" and they turned out perfect!!! Rich, creamy, lime cookies on the bottom were the perfect base. I did not use anything for topping, but thought about some lime peel curls or a small piece of sliced-up lime for garnish.
I tried this recipe 3 times. I was not able to recreate them. The main thing for me is that i they wouldn't harden. I had to add much more baking time. One attempt had a coconut crust mixed with some crushed up store bought short bread cookies. The filling didnt adhere tot he base and they crumbled as they were unpealed. The third batch i added a bit of flour to make it stick or thicken. They rose up nice, but still didn't survive the unpealing of the wrappers. Loved the flavor, but wasn't impressed. I too can not find the key lime cookies in the stores. The Key lime cookies on this site turned out to be most excellent.