Recipe by LDSMom128
I found this recipe on another website when I had a craving for something lime. I tweaked it enough to add it here to Zaar. This is a delicious and refreshing dessert, especially during th Spring and Summer. The glaze will add more of a lime flavor, but you can just sift powdered sugar on top to garnish and either way it will be delicious. When I made this cake, I used bottled lime juice and I didn't have any fresh limes on hand, so I left out the lime zest and it was fine without it, although I am sure the lime zest would add more zing!
For the Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter (Or 2 1/2 Sticks)
- 2 cups sugar (Or Splenda)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup key lime juice (I used the bottled juice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons rum extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For The Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and the salt. Stir well.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix thoroughly well. Add alternately the flour and the milk, ending with the milk. Add the lime juice, lime zest, the rum and vanilla extracts. Mix well, using a spatula. Pour the batter into a well greased and floured baking pan, cake pan, bundt pan, or tube pan.
- Bake at 375 for about 45-55 minutes. Allow the cake to cool for at least an hour.
- To make the glaze, using the stove and a medium sauce pan, melt the butter and sugar together. Stir well until melted. Add the lime juice, zest, and the extracts. Pour the warm glaze over the cake. You may also add sifted powdered sugar, or omit the glaze and garnish with just the powdered sugar. Enjoy!