Recipe by Sharon123
A great recipe using Key limes, from Key West, of couse! Adapted from Florida Keys Treasures.
Top Review by grantg
Positively delicious Key Lime flavor. USE the sugar! Splenda is almost worthless for baking IMO... even the baking blend with sugar can give IFFY results... and I am a diabetic! Just use a little restraint and DO NOT eat the whole cake at one sitting. An alternative lifestyle for diabetics that I've adopted... savor such delicious indulgences in small servings and GIVE AWAY half (or more) to friends! They will love you all the more... and maybe invite you over for dinner!
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups white flour (unbleaced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons key lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325* F.
- Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder.
- Cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in key lime juice and vanilla extract. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack. While warm, prick top of cake all over with a toothpick.
- Pour Key Lime Glaze over warm cake. Cool completely. Enjoy!
- Key Lime Glaze:.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, butter and key lime juice.
- Bring to boil. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.