Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Super easy, super delicious cake! My brother is a huge Key lime fan so I made this for his birthday! It is a nice change from the everyday birthday cake! Recipe from www.bettycrocker.com
- 1 (18 ounce) box Betty Crocker super moist white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 12 ounces Betty Crocker fluffy white frosting mix
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F for shiny metal or glass pan or 325 deg. F for dark or nonstick pan.
- Spray bottom only of 9x13" pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed for 30 sec. Beat on medium speed for 2 min, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 26-30 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minute.
- With handle of wooden spoon (1/4-1/2" in diameter) poke holes almost to bottom of cake every 1/2 ", wiping spoon handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
- In a medium bowl, stir together filling ingredients, mixture will thicken with refrigeration.
- Pour in holes and evenly over cake.
- Refrigerate one hour.
- Spread frosting over cake; sprinkle with lime peel,*sometimes I frost with Cool Whip*.
- Optional- garnish with fresh strawberries, lime slices and lemon leaves.
- Refrigerate over night for best taste, or immediatly serve.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Very different from anything we've ever had. Sweet! I only had the gel colors on hand and the coloring was so off I didn't snap a pic. Not something I'd made often but great for an occasional treat. Made for PAC, Fall '09.