1/2 Photos of Key Lime Pie With a Gingersnap Crust
1 hr 40 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
The combo of key lime with gingersnaps might sound a little strange, but it is really good! The short extra baking time allows the pie to have a much nicer texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups gingersnap crumbs (I made them from gingersnap cookies Gingersnap Cookies)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup strained fresh key lime juice (about 12-14 limes)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch citric acid (optional)
For the Topping
- 1Chill a mixing bowl and mixer whip.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Combine gingersnap crumbs, sugar, and ginger in a food processor and pulse to obtain very fine crumbs.
- 4Pour crumbs into a bowl and mix well with melted butter.
- 5Butter a 9-inch pie plate and evenly and firmly press gingersnap crumbs along the bottom and sides of pan.
- 6Par-bake crust at 350F for 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
- 7Allow crust to cool while preparing filling.
- 8Beat together egg yolks and lime zest in a large non-reactive bowl (mixture may turn pale green).
- 9Add condensed milk and continue beating.
- 10Add salt, citric acid and lime juice, mixing thoroughly.
- 11Set bowl aside and allow mixture to thicken somewhat.
- 12When thickened, evenly pour prepared filling into the crust.
- 13Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until mixture sets but is still slightly jiggly.
- 14Cool pie on a wire rack.
- 15Using the chilled mixing bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- 16Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time, and continue to beat until firm peaks form.
- 17Serve whipped cream on pie as desired, garmished with additional lime zest.
- 18Refrigerate unused portions.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Key Lime Pie With a Gingersnap Crust
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.7
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 212.8 mg
- Sodium 439.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 53.9 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
limes, zest of