Recipe by Ambervim
Nellie and Joe's Famous Key Lime Juice comes from Key West. One time I forgot to separate the eggs - pie was fine but no meringue....SO I just sprinkled coconut on top when serving and it was Wonderful!!!
- 1 graham cracker pie crust, 9 inch
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice (be heavy handed)
- cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Blend milk, egg yolks and lime juice until smooth.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Whip egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peak. Add a little sugar, if I am in the mood.
- Spread the meringue top of the pie and put it in the oven at 325 for 10 minutes or til the peaks brown.
- Meringue can be placed on silpat and cooked then moved to the pie. Works well if I put the filling in custard cups instead of a pie plate.