Idle Chef's Note:
This recipe is from the Cooking Light cookbook. I find this recipe to have excellent flavor and creaminess at half of the calories of traditional key lime pies. Try it and you will not be disappointed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup fresh or bottled lime juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- lime slice, for decoration (optional)
- 1Prepare and bake graham cracker crust according to directions; set crust aside.
- 2Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl.
- 3Combine lime juice and egg yolks in a small, heavy sauce pan; cook over medium low heat until mixture thickens (about 10 min, stirring constantly, DO NOT BOIL. Add gelatin to lime juice mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl or until mixture comes to room temperature,stirring occasionally (do not let the gelatin mixture to set).
- 4Strain gelatin mixture into a medium bowl; discard any solids. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended, mixture will be very thick. Spoon into crust and spread evenly.
- 5Preheat oven at 325°F.
- 6Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt at high speed of a mixture until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over filling, sealing to the edge of the crust.
- 7Bake at 325°F for 25 min; cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Chill 3 hours or until set.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Key Lime Pie - Light
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.9
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.1 mg
- Sodium 230.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free sweetened condensed milk