Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) cansweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 deg F.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Fold in milk and lime juice.
- If desired, stir in food colouring.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 deg F.
- Now, prepare the meringue.
- For this, beat egg whites with cream of tartar till soft white peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar until it is completely dissolved.
- Immediately spread the merngue over the hot pie.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool for an hour.
- Chill for atleast 3 hours.
TRUE Key Lime Pie is made with KEY LIMES.
Sublime! I have make this recipe twice so far, using Recipe #26205 for the crust. I was lucky to find some limes(they really hard to get here)I am glad I choose to use my precious find on this recipe. the 2nd time I made this recipe using lemons. I have eaten tons of lemon pies,only to push itaway after a few bites because they were so sickly sweet, but not with this pie. It had the just the right contrast of sweet and pucker. Charishma I'm going to be making this pie for years to come. Thank you for sharing.