Top Review by TommyGato
This is a wonderful, tart Key Lime Pie that kindled memories of Key West! This traditional recipe wins kudos hands down over sweeter ones that are often like lime cheesecake. I used just one 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk with about 1/2 c. half-and-half for richer flavor and body. After all, the chill time is crucial for the juice to essentially curdle the milk and thicken the pie. I departed from tradition by baking my pie for 15-20 mi. at 350 due to concerns about raw eggs. The flavor was awesome -- sweet enough and pleasingly tart. Thanks for posting!!
- 3⁄4 cup key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons key lime juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest, Grated
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- sweetened whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze juice from 4 lg or 6 small Key Limes and grate rind; set aside.
- Using a whisk beat egg yolks until buttercup yellow.
- Add about half the condensed milk, using whisk.
- Blend well and add remaining milk.
- Add half the lime juice and blend slowly.
- Add remaining juice and blend.
- Add grated rind; mix and pour into chilled pie crust.
- Refrigerate 4 hours.
- May be frozen.
- To serve, slice while still frozen and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream.