Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
from Borden Eagle Brand cookbook
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325. In medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Stir in food coloring if desired. Pour in pastry shell.
- 2. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350.
- 3. Meanwhile, for meringue, with clean mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. Beat 4 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 4. Immediately spread meringue over hot pie, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent meringue from shrinking. Bake 15 minutes. Cool 1 hour. Chill at lest 3 hours. Store covered in refrigerator.