A traditional Key Lime Pie in a graham cracker crust. Stores in the refrigerator up to three days. Adapted from "The Pie and Pastry Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Graham Cracker Crust
- 11 graham crackers (1 package of double crackers 4 7/8 inch x 2 3/8 inch)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2To make the crust by hand: Place in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine crumbs and sugar; stir in melted butter.
- 4To make the crust in a food processor: Process crackers and sugar until crackers are finely crushed, about 20 seconds; add melted butter and pulse until incorporated, about 10 pulses.
- 5Press mixture into a 9 inch pie pan using the back of a spoon.or your fingers.
- 6Bake crust until just set, about 6 minutes (crust will only color slightly).
- 7Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, lightly whisk together egg yolks with the sweetened condensed milk; gradually beat in the lime juice (mixture will thicken) and the zest; set aside.
- 8In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl and an electric mixer) beat egg whites until foamy; add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- 9In a saucepan, stir together sugar and water, then heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves; reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the soft ball stage (236 degrees F); remove from heat.
- 10With the mixer on low speed, gently pour syrup over the egg whites until incorporated; increase heat to high and beat 2 minutes.
- 11Remove 2 cups of the meringue, then cover the remainder with plastic wrap and set aside.
- 12Fold the 2 cups of meringue into the lime mixture; pour int crust.
- 13Bake (at 350 degrees F) until set, 15 minutes.
- 14Spread remaining meringue over entire surface of pie and sprinkle with powdered sugar (to create extra crunch), if desired.
- 15Return pie to oven for 5 minutes, then turn on broiler and cook 20 seconds to 1 minute until meringue is golden.
- 16Cool pie at least 4 hours before serving; use a wet, thin knife to cut.
- 17Store, uncovered, in the refrigerator, up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Key Lime Pie
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.3
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 141.0 mg
- Sodium 205.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 45.2 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
key lime zest