Recipe by Bay Laurel
This Key Lime Pie recipe is from Cook's Ilustrated March 1,1997. The crust I used was Deluxe Butter Pie Pastry Dough that I have posted and Light-As-A-Cloud Whipped Cream for the topping. I had to stop myself from eating the whole pie. Prep time does not include 3 hour refrigeration time.
- 4 teaspoons lime zest, grated
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken.
- Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.).