Recipe by MiracleMax
I made this for a practical. A nice balance between sweet and tart. Be patient with squeezing limes. I recommend listening to the band Mount Righteous while baking :) Hope you enjoy!
key lime filling
- 3 (8 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup key lime juice (about 30 key limes)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch honey, to taste
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, maybe 3
- 1 1⁄2 cups pastry flour, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Short Dough:.
- Cream butter. Add sugar, honey, and salt until uniform. Add eggs one at a time until completely mixed. Add the flour -- Do NOT over mix. Roll out and then chill 3-4 hours covered. Make sure it is chilled so it is easy to handle.
- Bake dough at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Key lime filling:.
- Fold sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, key lime juice, lime zest, egg yolk, and honey.
- Pour filling into pre-baked crust. Bake for about 8 minutes. I like to top with a whipped cream and tuile cookie for decoration. Martha Stewart has an awesome tuile cookie recipe.