Prep 3 hrs 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Eagle Brand recipe. Note: Prep time includes 3 hours chill time.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, from concentrate
- 1 unbaked pastry shell
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring, if desired
- Preheat oven to 325. In medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks; gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. stire in food coloring, if desired. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350.
- Meanwhile, for meringue, with clean mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. beat 4 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissovled.
- Immediately spread meringue over hot pie, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent meringue from shrinking. Bake 15 minutes. Cool 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours. sore covered in refrigerator.