Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is from a Eagle Brand Milk recipe booklet I ordered. Time does not include cooling and chill time.
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 14 ounces eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In bowl beat egg yolks on low speed; gradually beat in sweetened milk and lime juice till smooth. You can also add food coloring now if desired.
- Pour into pie crust. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and increase temperature to 350 degrees.
- In bowl beat egg whites and tartar on high speed till soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar on med. speed 1 tbs. at a time. Beat 4 minutes longer or till sugar is dissolved and stiff glossy peaks form.
- Spread meringue over pie carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking.
- Bake 15 minutes. Cool 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours.