Recipe by Renie 77
Martha Stewart's recipe of the month for May 2000. Best to use the juice of fresh fruit but bottled Key-lie or Persian-lime may be sub'd . Delicious frozen overnight and served semi-frozen.
Top Review by diner524
Great Key Lime Pie recipe!!! I bought a bag of key limes, but after juicing them I only had 6 tablespoons of juice(bad time for fresh key limes right now), so I made 1/2 of the recipe and used already made graham cracker mini tarts, which the filling filled 4 of the 6 tarts. Our Publix Grocery Store makes a great Key Lime Pie and this tastes very similar. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs, about 10 crackers
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pie plate
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup key lime juice, about 20 Key limes
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375o. In a bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar, butter, and salt. Press into buttered pie plate; bake until ightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325o.
- In a bowl, combine condensed milk, yolks, and lime juice. Pour into crust.
- Return pie to oven and bake until center is just set, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together remaining sugar and egg whites. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water, and stir until warm to the touch and sugar is dissolved. Place bowl on mixer fitted with whisk attachment, and mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and meringue is glossy, about 5 minutes.
- Place cream in a chilled bowl; whisk until soft peaks form, being careful not to overmix. Gently whisk a third of the cream into meringue. Using a rubber spatula, fold in remaining cream.
- Top pie with meringue; freeze just until topping is firm enough to slice.