Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this for my DH for Father's Day since he loves key lime anything. He declared the best he's had -- and that's saying something since he's eaten key lime pie all over the US! I used Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice.
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh squeezed key lime juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Combine crust ingredients and press onto 9" pie plate. Bake at 350°F for 10 minute; cool.
- Stir together milk and lime juice. When thickened, pour onto crust.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy, add sugar slowly and continue beating until meringue forms glossy and white stiff peaks.
- Spread on pie and peak up with ends of fork. Bake 25 minutes at 325°F.
- Chill for 8 hours to set.
However, I used a ready-made crust. And as I live in So California, I have a lime (Key?) tree.
So I just went out back and picked me some pretty limes and made the pie. It was so easy to make and looked so yummy and tasted the very best. Thank you for the recipe.
i love key lime pies - this is my favorite key lime pie recipe!! thank you so much for posting it!
I made this pie on Sunday, it was yummy. It was tart but not too tart, and the crust turned out perfect.
My husband loved it, and he is a bit picky. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Loved it....