Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A winning receipe from Key West FL! I am requested to make this pie for all special ocassions. Yes even Thanksgiving and Christmas! I make this about 4 -6 times a year.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup key lime juice (not reconstitued, I use just under 1/2 cup)
- Crust: Mix dry ingredients then add melted butter.
- Mix again.
- Press into 9inch pie pan.
- Bake 10 minutes at 325.
- Let cool.
- Filling: Beat egg yolks well.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and beat again.
- Very slowly, a little bit at a time add the key lime juice.
- Mix very well with your mixer.
- Rinse off the beaters to start to prepare the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Texture should be even.
- Pour into pie crust pan.
- Bake 20 min at 325.
- Cool, then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Top with whipped cream!
Extremely good!! I made it because my wife had a craving for key lime pie for months. I've always found it 'okay', but this recipe has made me realize that good homemade key lime pie is deee-licious!! I think I'll be the one with cravings next.<br/>BTW, I used 1/2 c of freshly squeezed key lime juice. And Chef#210523 is right that the cinnamon offsets the tartness perfectly.<br/>Update 2 years later: We still make this for special occasions and it's become a regular challenge when we travel to find somewhere that makes a better one than "our" recipe - it's still the champ beating out many famous restaurants' versions.
This is a wonderful, light recipe. The hint of cinnamon in the crust compliments the tartness of the key lime juice. I use a full 1/2 cup of lime juice and the taste is great!!!
To those of you who feel it didn't "firm up" enough, I have been using this same recipe for years, and I double the vegan cream cheese, Always make it a day ahead, to allow the flavors to meld and for the pie to properly set. I like to use Annie's Brand Snickerdoodle Gluten Free Bunny Cookies to make my crust. One 6oz bag, crushed, with 3 or 4 Tbsp vegan margerine. Press into the pan and bake 15 minutes.