4 hrs 30 mins
This is even better than Key lime Pie because it is creamy and much richer yet still light enough to serve after a heavy meal. A wonderful mix of sweet and tart. Don't let the use of unflavored gelatin and the long directions scare you off. If you can make Jello, you can make this. Just follow the directions & you'll be fine. This mousse is great for family desserts during the summer yet with some graham cracker crumbs and white chocolate curls on top, it is fancy enough for company also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grate the required zest and squeeze 1 cup juice from limes.
- 2In pot over medium heat, combine juice, sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and ginger.
- 3Cook, stirring often, until mixture coats back of spoon and instant read thermometer registers 160 degrees fahrenheit, about five minutes, (do not overcook or the mixture will curdle); then remove from heat.
- 4Stir in zest and food coloring if using it; then transfer to a large bowl and cover the surface directly with plastic wrap and regrigerate for about an hour.
- 5Meanwhile, in a small pot over low heat, warm 1/2 cup of the cream until it is about room temperature, warm to the touch.
- 6Sprinkle gelatin over the warmed cream; let stand for a minute or two to soften; over low heat cook, stirring constantly, until dissolved, 1-2 minutes; cool away from the heat for five minutes.
- 7At high speed, beat the 1/4 cup sugar with the remaining cream until soft peaks form.
- 8Reduce the speed to medium and gradually drizzle the gelatin mixture into the cream; beat until stiff; reserve one cup of the whipped cream mixture; cover and refrigerate.
- 9Fold remaining gelatin/cream mixture into the lime custard; cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- 10Pipe or spoon mousse into glasses or bowls; top with reserved whipped cream and garnish as desired -- then pig out.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Key Lime Mousse; Awesome!!
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.9
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 256.8 mg
- Sodium 156.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 61.2 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: