1 hr 5 mins
A delicate, golden cake that combines tart and sweet, tender and crisp. Strawberries make a lovely garnish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 4 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (about 1 oz)
- 1Set rack in bottom third of oven.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 3Line the bottoms of two 8-X 2-inch round cake pans with wax paper and grease paper.
- 4Make the meringue cake: Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 5In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter with ½ cup of the sugar until fluffy.
- 6Add the egg yolks and beat for 2 minutes.
- 7Stir together the milk and vanilla; beat the milk into the butter in two additions, alternating with the dry ingredients, until just incorporated.
- 8Scrape the batter into the prepared pans.
- 9In another large bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites at medium speed until they hold stiff peaks.
- 10Gradually sprinkle in ¾ cup of the sugar and beat until the whites are glossy, 3-4 minutes.
- 11Gently spread the meringue over the cake batter in the pans; do not smooth the tops.
- 12Sprinkle the almonds, then the remaining 2 tsps sugar, on the meringue.
- 13Bake the cakes for 25 minutes, or until the meringue is puffed and lightly browned.
- 14Transfer the pans to racks and let the cakes cool completely; the tops will sink considerably.
- 15While the cakes bake, make the lime curd: Place the whole eggs and egg yolk in a heatproof bowl and whisk.
- 16In a medium saucepan, bring the lime juice, sugar, cornstarch and salt to a boil over medium heat, whisking.
- 17Gradually whisk the mixture into the eggs.
- 18Scrape the lime curd into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until thick enough to coat the spoon, about 5 minutes; do not boil.
- 19Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- 20Strain the curd into a clean bowl.
- 21Let cool for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- 22Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the lime curd and refrigerate until chilled, atleast 2 hours or overnight.
- 23To assemble: Run a knife around the sides of the cake layers to loosen them from the pans.
- 24Carefully invert the layers onto baking sheets; remove wax paper.
- 25Invert one layer (meringue side up) onto a cake platter.
- 26Spread all the lime curd on top.
- 27Cover with the other cake layer (meringue side up).
- 28To serve: Slice gently with a serrated knife.
- 29The cake can be refrigerated for up to 1 day ahead.
- 30Loosely cover with plastic wrap.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Key Lime Meringue Torte
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.5
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 231.3 mg
- Sodium 263.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 51.7 g
- Protein 7.6 g