Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
I have this thing about canned condensed milk. Every time I look at the number of calories in the can, I just balk at using it. But I do love Key Lime Pie in spite of the fact that most recipes use the condensed milk. So I was delighted to find a recipe for this favorite without the condensed milk. It may end up having the same number of calories, but I will just feel better knowing I avoided the high-calorie milk. I have not yet tried this recipe; I am saving it for a special occasion. Note that preparation time includes cooling time.
Top Review by Doni C.
I refuse to use condensed milk too. I am going to make this for my husband tomorrow and will be using Splenda instead of sugar. I think he'll be surprised to have a dessert like this on a Monday! Thank you for the recipe!!
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch, plus
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- green food coloring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pastry dough, for a 9-inch pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1-1/2 cups sugar with the cornstarch and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Add egg yolks, lime juice and cold water. Blend well. Add butter, and gradually add boiling water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in zest and food coloring, Remove from heat and cool 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with electric mixer on number 1 speed till frothy. Add cream of tartar and whip until soft peaks form. Continue on number 4 speed, gradually adding remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Pour cooled filling into pie shell. Lightly pile meringue on filling and spread to edges. Bake 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool completely before serving.