Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
From the National Honey Board, “Honey Feast” newsletter. Makes 12-16 cupcakes, and includes recipe for Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting, especially designed to frost Key Lime Macadamia Nut Cupcakes!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon zest and 1/4 cup juice from key lime, may substitute regular limes
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup clover honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons clover honey
- 4 -5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a liquid measure, combine Key lime zest and juice, and coconut milk; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy; scraping sides of bowl, as necessary. Add honey; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until just combined.
- With mixer running on low, slowly add the lime mixture. Add remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in coconut and macadamia nuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Frost with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting, if desired.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
- In a mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add lime juice and honey; mix well.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until desired spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes and top with coconut.