Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A light dessert to accompany any dinner on a summer evening. It has just the right taste, texture & sweetness to "cleanse the palate", without being filling... Best of all, preparation couldn't be easier! I mix the ingredients together (less than 5 minutes of preparation time) & place them in the fridge until dinner is ready. Just before we sit down to eat, I pour the mixture into my ice cream maker. By the time dinner is finished & everyone has had a chance for their meal to settle, dessert is ready!
- 32 ounces of stoneyfield's whole milk french vanilla yogurt (don't substitute with lowfat or fat-free... it won't thicken)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (you can use fat-free, if preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice (usually sold by the reconstituted lemon juice)
- lime zest (optional)
- Mix ingredients together & refrigerate until ready to use. I usually do this in the morning to give the mixture time to chill before I place it in the ice cream maker & to give myself one less thing to prepare at dinner time, but this is NOT necessary.
- Pour into ice cream maker & follow per instructions. I usually let mine run about 1-1/2 hours to give it the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- Any remainder can be placed in an air tight container in the freezer.
- When ready, remove from freezer & let soften a few minutes.
This makes very good, smooth ice cream. I did not use the brand of yogurt mentioned, but did use a full-fat plain European style yogurt. It seemed fine. I used fresh lime juice (not certain if they were key limes or not - round limes from Mexico), and added the zest of one lime. I think the added zest is necessary. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.