Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
another recipe made quick with cake mix..I use Duncan Hines deluxe white cake mix...and for the filling..I do use reduced fat condensed milk..to save on calories..and fat..same with cool whip
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 19 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 8 lime slices, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- FOR CRUST:.
- Spread pecans in shallow baking pan --
- Bake 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine pecans, cake mix and melted butter.
- Stir until crumbs form, spread in bottom of ungreased 13x9x2 pan.Press lightly.
- FOR FILLING:.
- Combine egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and food coloring, if desired, in medium bowl.
- Stir until well blended.
- Spread over crust.
- Bake at 350*.for 15 minutes.or until set.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate until chilled.about 2 hours.
- To serve, cut into squares.
- Top with dollops of whipped topping and lime slices, if desired.
Very easy and quick to make. Family loved them. I too put several drops of food coloring making the filling a little darker than need be. Other than that, they turned out great. Thanks Grandma2969 for sharing your recipe.
Very good flavor, the fresh limes really make a difference. And easy to make. The only bad thing is that I put a few too many drops of food coloring so they were GREEN! Most people thought they were mint bars and didn't eat them. Oh well, more left overs for me :)
Very good & well-loved by all who ate them! These are very tasty bars & fascinating to make! I did, however, used considerably more than just a drop of green food coloring, 'cause I wanted the bars to be GREEN! Also, I realized way too late than when [in step #6] is says to "Press lightly" the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan, PRESS LIGHTLY & ONLY LIGHTLY! Thanks much for the recipe ~ It's definitely a keeper!