Recipe by Suzanne S.
I won 3rd place in the Cabarrus County Fair with this cake!
Top Review by LW Taylor
It takes a lot for me to give a recipe five stars, but this one deserves it! I made this cake for Easter and it was a BIG hit. Even my friend who is a professional cook,gave this cake compliments. It is very moist and my family loved it. Thanks Suzanne...I'll be making this one again!
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon grated key lime zest
- 2 teaspoons key lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 3 tablespoons rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, shortening, and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of rum, key lime zest, 2 teaspoons key lime juice, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 90 minutes, or until tests done.
- Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Turn it out onto wire rack.
- While warm, prick top of cake with toothpick.
- Pour Key Lime Daiquiri Glaze over the warm cake.
- Cool completely.
- To make Glaze: In small saucepan, combine ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup butter and 2 tablespoons key lime juice.
- Bring to boil.
- Continue boiling, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons rum.