Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
This is from Southern Living. Time does not include chilling time...up to 8 hours.
- 4 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup fresh key lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan, and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 12 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Stir in lime rind. Pour carefully through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Cover mixture, and refrigerate 4-6 hours.
- Pulse flours, sugar, salt and baking powder in a food processor until combined. Add 1 cup butter and the shortening, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition. Remove dough, and wrap in plastic wrap; chill at least 2 hours.
- Shape dough into 34 (1-inch) balls, and press balls into lightly greased miniature tart pans. Prick with a fork.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 13 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans, let cool on wire racks.
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons lime curd into each tart shell; top with strawberry slices.
- You can substitute mini muffin pans for mini tart pans.