Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are a very refreshing treat to have on a summer day! If you like key lime pie, you will love these!! They are nice for something different as far as cupcakes go:) It is important to have real Key Lime juice, instead of just regular lime juice!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 3⁄4 tablespoons keylime juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 tablespoon keylime juice
- 1⁄8 cup sour cream
- grated lime zest, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar on high speed, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. On low speed, add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add vanilla, lime zest, and juice and mix well.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and soda, and salt. In 5 parts total alternately add dry ingrediants and buttermilk to butter, beginning and ending with dry. Mix until just combined.
- Line muffin tins with paper and fill each liner about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes until tops are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove and cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completly.
- In a small glass bowl, set over a pot of simmering water. Slowly melt white chocolate. Remove and let cool until slightly warm.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. On low speed, gradually add confectioners sugar until mixed.
- Add salt, vanilla, lime juice, and sour cream and mix well.
- Add melted white chocolate and mix just until incorporated.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with grated lime zest. Can refrigerate, but don't have to.
These cupcakes are excellent! They tasted delicious & looked lovely. I followed the recipe exactly but only made 15 cupcakes, and only made half the amount of frosting. Thanks for posting the recipe!