Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Betty Crocker. Look good and simple to make. Time listed does not include cooling time.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box lime gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup key lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. In large bowl, beat cake mix and gelatin with electric mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds. Add remaining cupcake ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds; beat on medium speed additional 2 minutes, scraping bowl as necessary. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake 17 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan around 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. With toothpick or wooden skewer, pierce tops of cupcakes in several places.
- In small bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar and enough of the 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice until glaze is smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle and spread glaze over cupcakes. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. On low speed, beat in vanilla and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar until mixed; beat on medium speed until fluffy and frost cupcakes. Will want to store covered in refrigerator.
Key Lime pie is one of my faves, so anything with Key Lime in the title intrigues me. These did not disappoint! Lovely, tart limey flavor with the rich sweet taste of cream cheese frosting. And such a lovely color! I only used one drop of green color. Also, I only had a 12-cup pan, so I made the rest in a loaf pan. Forgot to photo the actual cupcakes before I stuck them in the freezer, so I used the loaf cake. Thanks! Made for ZWT7 Count Dracula and His Hot Bites
Very LIMEY! Love the glaze! I used extra lime juice in the glaze for even more flavor. These turned out great, cooking time was right on. I didn't add food coloring, and the cake turned out a loved limey color. Great recipe! Everybody loved them! ZWT7 - Shady Ladies