Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is a delightful and refreshing dessert. I found a recipe 15 years ago that is similar to mine, but I modified it to have a very good blend between the lime juice and sugar. My crust enhances the taste of the cheesecake.
- 1⁄2 cup crushed graham wafers or 1⁄2 cup crushed graham wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup crushed vanilla wafers or 1⁄2 cup crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup ground blanched almond
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham wafer crumbs, vanilla wafer crumbs and ground almonds.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender or a fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Prepare a 9 inch x 9 inch oven-proof casserole dish by spraying inside with a vegetable spray.
- Press wafer mixture firmly in bottom of casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth.
- Add lime juice, grated lime zest and tapioca starch and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread mixture evenly over baked crust.
- Return to oven and bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares to serve.
- If desired, decorate top of cheesecake with pieces of lime or halved small fresh strawberries or quartered maraschino cherries (red and green).
- You can also use regular lime juice or use bottled key lime juice.