Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a delightful and refreshing dessert. I found a recipe 15 years ago that is similar to mine, but I modified it to have a very good blend between the lime juice and sugar. My crust enhances the taste of the cheesecake.
- 1⁄2 cup crushed graham wafers or 1⁄2 cup crushed graham wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup crushed vanilla wafers or 1⁄2 cup crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup ground blanched almond
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham wafer crumbs, vanilla wafer crumbs and ground almonds.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender or a fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Prepare a 9 inch x 9 inch oven-proof casserole dish by spraying inside with a vegetable spray.
- Press wafer mixture firmly in bottom of casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth.
- Add lime juice, grated lime zest and tapioca starch and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread mixture evenly over baked crust.
- Return to oven and bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares to serve.
- If desired, decorate top of cheesecake with pieces of lime or halved small fresh strawberries or quartered maraschino cherries (red and green).
- You can also use regular lime juice or use bottled key lime juice.
These were a hit at a dinner party.The topping is wonderfully tart and the crust is particularly good - plan to use the crust for other goodies. Thanks.
Very good! Although I used regular limes, it was slightly too tart for me, (key limes definitely would have been too tart for me), so next time I'll add an extra tablespoon or so of sugar. I didn't make the crust as written, since I didn't have vanilla wafers on hand, but made a simple graham cracker crust instead. Next time I will try the original crust; it sounds really good!
As you can tell from my picture, I added a little bit of green food coloring. I just liked the contrast of colors. They always get rave reviews. I like adding more cream cheese and an extra egg.