Recipe by Juenessa
What makes this recipe so exceptional is the lime custard on the bottom, which makes it seem like you're not only eating cheesecake but key lime pie, too. **This cheesecake needs to be refrigerated overnight.**
Top Review by Mamy27
This was an awesome cheesecake! I didn't use the crust recipe, but used another I found on recipezaar that was an Alton Brown recipe for macadamia nut crust. I made it for a belated housewarming party, and it got rave reviews from everyone who attended. The only improvements I would make would be to make the cheesecake and and lime curd layers thicker, since they were so delicious! My thanks for a delicious and easy to follow recipe!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh key lime juice or 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated key lime peel or 1 teaspoon regular lime peel
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 12 whole graham crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated key lime peel or 1 tablespoon regular lime peel
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- thin lime slice
Directions See How It's Made
- For lime custard:.
- Whisk all ingredients in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until custard thickens and boils for 30 seconds, about 8 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally (mixture will thicken).
- For crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wrap 3 layers of foil around outside of 8- to 8 1/2-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides.
- Butter pan.
- Stir first 3 ingredients to blend in medium bowl.
- Mix in butter until moistened.
- Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake just until set, about 5 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling:.
- Place cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, eggs, lime juice, and lime peel in processor; blend well.
- Spoon custard into crust; smooth top.
- Carefully spoon filling over.
- Set cheesecake in large baking pan.
- Add enough hot water to baking pan to come 1 inch up sides of cheesecake pan.
- Bake until almost set but not puffed and center moves slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir sour cream and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Carefully spoon sour cream mixture over hot cheesecake; smooth top.
- Bake until topping sets, about 10 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen.
- Cool cheesecake completely.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Do ahead Can be made 2 days ahead.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Release pan sides from cheesecake; transfer to platter.
- Garnish with lime slices and serve.
- ***Cook time does not include any of the cooling times.