Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 8 mins
What makes this recipe so exceptional is the lime custard on the bottom, which makes it seem like you're not only eating cheesecake but key lime pie, too. **This cheesecake needs to be refrigerated overnight.**
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh key lime juice or 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated key lime peel or 1 teaspoon regular lime peel
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 12 whole graham crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated key lime peel or 1 tablespoon regular lime peel
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- thin lime slice
- For lime custard:.
- Whisk all ingredients in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until custard thickens and boils for 30 seconds, about 8 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally (mixture will thicken).
- For crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wrap 3 layers of foil around outside of 8- to 8 1/2-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides.
- Butter pan.
- Stir first 3 ingredients to blend in medium bowl.
- Mix in butter until moistened.
- Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake just until set, about 5 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling:.
- Place cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, eggs, lime juice, and lime peel in processor; blend well.
- Spoon custard into crust; smooth top.
- Carefully spoon filling over.
- Set cheesecake in large baking pan.
- Add enough hot water to baking pan to come 1 inch up sides of cheesecake pan.
- Bake until almost set but not puffed and center moves slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir sour cream and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Carefully spoon sour cream mixture over hot cheesecake; smooth top.
- Bake until topping sets, about 10 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen.
- Cool cheesecake completely.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Do ahead Can be made 2 days ahead.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Release pan sides from cheesecake; transfer to platter.
- Garnish with lime slices and serve.
- ***Cook time does not include any of the cooling times.
This was an awesome cheesecake! I didn't use the crust recipe, but used another I found on recipezaar that was an Alton Brown recipe for macadamia nut crust. I made it for a belated housewarming party, and it got rave reviews from everyone who attended. The only improvements I would make would be to make the cheesecake and and lime curd layers thicker, since they were so delicious! My thanks for a delicious and easy to follow recipe!