Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This cake has a tart and sweet flavor. A local restaurant called the "Pink House" shared their recipe in our local newspaper and it is yummy!
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime gelatin
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour three 9-Inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir to mix well.
- Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Divide the batter evenly among the three pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick.
- Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes then turn them out onto racks.
- While the layers are still hot mix the lime juice and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and pour it over the layers on the racks.
- You can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better.
- Allow the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.
- For the icing Cream the butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread.
- Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake.