Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a cookbook that I got in Johnson City, TN. It is a book compiled by Pine Grove United Methodist Church with recipes from the locals. This cake is delicious! I hope you enjoy it. Prep time is approximate.
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime Jell-O gelatin
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄3 cup key lime juice (if not available, regular limes may be substituted)
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- whipped cream (garnish)
- lime slice (garnish)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place dry ingredients (except powdered sugar) into mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, orange juice, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into a 9x13x2 inch pan; bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and let stand in pan 15 minutes or until almost cool.
- Prick cake all over with a fork.
- Drizzle thoroughly with lime juice mixed with powdered sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- To serve, cut into squares, top with whipped cream and garnish with lime slices.
This Cake is soooo Yummy!!!! I tried another key lime cake recipe that uses a box of lemon cake mix, and I thought that one was good. But this one is better. My mother in-law actually asked me for this recipe, which is something that in over 10 years of marriage, she has never done!!!! I like to call my self a pretty good cook, and often get compliments when I cook something for guests. But not from my mother in-law. I didn't use key lime juice or real limes, I just used the lime juice in a bottle, and this recipe is super good. JUST TRY IT!!!!