Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 mins
Posted by request; made easy by using a cake mix.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package vanilla cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2⁄3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- Preheat oven to 350°; position oven rack in middle of oven; spray a 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan with cooking spray.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon cake mix; set aside.
- In a big bowl, add remaining cake mix, melted butter, and egg yolk; blend 1-2 minutes using an electric mixer on low speed until well blended and crumbly.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan; bake 15 minutes.
- While crust bakes, in a big bowl, whisk the eggs, condensed milk, lime juice, and reserved cake mix until blended and smooth.
- Stir in lime zest; carefully spread mixture over warm base layer.
- Bake an additional 20-24 minutes or until topping is set and golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Refrigerate until cold before serving, at least 2 hours; cut into bars.
- *Creamy Lemon Bars—prepare as directed but use lemon juice in place of lime juice and lemon zest in place of lime zest.
- *Orange Burst Bars—prepare as directed but use ½ cup orange juice plus 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice in place of lime juice and orange zest in place of lime zest.