Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sweet tart bar cookies are a vacation in a pan says Gina Neely. You can use fresh key limes or bottled. A dusting of powdered sugar, and you have the perfect dessert for any party! From Down Home with the Neely's cookbook.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice plus 2 tbls. fresh lime juice (or bottled)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- confectioners' sugar (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine butter and confectioner's sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium high for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt, and mix one more minute, until well combined.
- Move the dough to the prepared cake pan. Pat out to an even thickness over the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from the oven, and cool on a baking rack.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the flour, and whisk until just combined, then whisk in the lime juice and zest. Pour the lime topping over the cooled crust, then bake for 25 more minutes, or until filling is set.
- Let the bars cool completely. Liberally dust with confectioner's sugar and cut into squares. For the neatest presentation, use a meta spatula to remove the bars from the pan.
- Leftovers will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature, or for up to a week in the fridge. Enjoy!
- The cookie crust dough can be prepared up to 2 days in advance, then wrapped in plastic and stored in the fridge. When you're ready to bake the bars, bring the dough to room temperature and pat out as described above.
This was perfect for a gathering -- made it the night before - so easy to put together (I used bottled key lime juice). I was concerned that the top cracked when I cut the squares (someone said that wouldn't have happened if I cut them before they cooled) -- but my guests loved these squares/cookies accompanied with strawberries. They were just about licking their plates!!!Thanks for this keeper!