Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an excellent chowder! It's not a thin broth yet it's not super thick either. It's chock full of seafood and veggies with a nice mild zing of Caribbean jerk seasoning. You can grill the red and green peppers first, if you wish and can also use sweet potatoes in place of white potatoes. Recipe can easily be scaled down to feed less.
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper (grilled pepper) (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper (grilled pepper) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 6 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup cream, base
- 16 ounces chopped minced clams with juice
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced (sweet potatoes) (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup clam base
- 1 5⁄8 teaspoons caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces thawed drained peeled deveined shrimp (about 71-90 ct or baby shrimp, fresh or canned and drained)
- 8 ounces bay scallops, raw (30-40 ct)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, saute onion, carrot and celery in oil over medium to high heat for 5 to 8 minutes; add peppers and saute until heated through.
- Add water, cream soup base, clams with liquid, tomatoes, potatoes, clam base, jerk seasoning and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil, stir and cook for about 12 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add shrimp, scallops and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally for another 5 to 8 minutes.