Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love Kewpie mayonnaise, but can't find it in my hometown. I've tried my best to duplicate it, and this is what I've come up with.
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Crack egg into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add salt and sugar, and process until well combined.
- With the motor running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until all is incorporated.
- With the machine running, add the rice vinegar.
- Cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour, before ready to use.
Lars is correct that Kewpie mayo uses only egg yolks and not whole eggs but the vinegar is wrong. Kewpie uses a blend of apple cider and malt vinegar. The proportions are secret so you'll have to experiment until you get it right.
Great taste, and so easy! I'm looking forward to trying this with steamed artichoke.
This was excellent, but you must run your food processor at full speed! I had to empty my processor, whip up another egg (with 1/4 tsp dry mustard) and then re-add the first attempt. It turned out perfectly the second time! I mixed a small portion with Sriracha to make dynamite sauce for sushi. Thank you!