1/3 Photos of Kevin's Best Corned Beef
4 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
3 hrs 20 mins
Kevin Connolly's Note:
This is the best corned beef you will ever have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs onions, spiced or unspiced
- 2 1/2 lbs carrots
- 6 lbs corned beef brisket
- 1 cup malt vinegar
- 6 ounces stout beer (such as Guinness)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon dill seed
- 1/2 tablespoon whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 lbs cabbage, rinsed
- 2 1/2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup coarse grain mustard
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1Use a 14 to 20 qt. pan.
- 2Coarsely chop enough onions and carrots to make 1 cup each.
- 3In pan, place onions and carrots, corned beef with any liquid from meat, vinegar, stout, mustard seed, coriander, peppercorns, dill, allspice, and bay leaves.
- 4Add water to barely cover beef.
- 5Cover pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 6Simmer till meat is tender when pierced, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- 7Meanwhile, cut remaining onions into wedges.
- 8Cut remaining carrots into 2 inch lengths, halve them lengthwise if large.
- 9Cut cabbage in half through cores, then into wedges.
- 10Scrub potatoes.
- 11Add onions, carrots and potatoes to tender corned beef, place cabbage on top.
- 12Cover and return to simmering over high heat; reduce heat and simmer till cabbage is tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 13With slotted spoon, scoop out vegetables onto warm serving dishes.
- 14Using tongs and a slotted spoon, remove beef to a cutting board.
- 15Cut off fat.
- 16Slice meat across grain, place on warm platters.
- 17Serve meat and vegetables with mustards.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kevin's Best Corned Beef
Serving Size: 1 (631 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.5
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 222.1 mg
- Sodium 2783.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 46.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard