Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A yummy recipe for old fashioned Kettle Corn. I found this somewhere online, but for the life of me I can't remember where...
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup raw popcorn
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Process granulated sugar and salt in a mini food processor for 60- 90 seconds.
- Using a large heavy gauge pot with lid place on stove and preheat on medium high.
- Pour Safflower oil in pot and heat oil for about 1 minute.
- Pour corn into hot oil.
- Heat corn with oil for about 30 seconds; add corn syrup to hot oil and popcorn that has not yet popped.
- Stir corn mixture to mix corn syrup into the oil.
- Place lid on pot.
- The corn should be starting to pop shortly.
- Shake pot constantly while cooking.
- When the popcorn starts to pop and has a layer of popped corn covering the raw corn very quickly pour the salt and sugar mixture in to the popcorn that is popping.
- This needs to be timed right, and quickly done.
- A few kernels may fly out.
- A glass lid is a big help.
- During the cooking process you must be constantly shaking the pot.
- When the corn has slowed the process of popping, quickly remove the pot from the stove and pour into a large bowl.
- It's better if some has not popped so the rest will not burn with the sugar content.
I tried this recipe teh first time and I didn't have the pan hot enough to begin with. I used an electric skilet so I had to mess a little with the temperature. I burned it. the second time I had it nice and hot about 375 degrees and it worked like a charm. the best recipe I've found yet. Tastes just like the stuff from the fair.
Worked great! Highly suggest using a whirly pop, with it there are no sticking or clumping issues and no burned bits. Just be sure to halve the recipe, one cup of popcorn won't fit!! Used canola oil with good results. Found this to be salty with a hint of sweetness, and I might decrease the salt next time. As is the whole family loved it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I must have had old popcorn or something. This just did not work for me. When I put the syrup in it kinda started sticking together and I couldn't shake at all. Just didn't do it. And I love popcorn of any kind!!!