Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a great marinade for barbecuing, since you don't have to add anything while the steak or chicken is cooking, but it gets a great barbecue sauce flavour.
- Dice onion very finely.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Stir well.
- Pour over chicken or steak.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Remove meat from marinade and cook on barbecue to desired doneness.
- Pour marinade into a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until fairly thick.
- Serve warm sauce on the side.
As a mother of kids who can't live without ketchup...this was a huge hit! Instead of grilling, I doubled the recipe and pored the marinade and chicken into a 9x13 dish and baked it at 400 for 30 minutes. My kids used it as dipping sauce and slathered it on their potatoes. Lol!
I made this recipe for Pick a Chef fall 2005. This was an easy recipe and I always have these ingredients on hand. I used 4 chicken breasts and let them sit all day. I ended up baking 3 of the breasts as I could not start the BBQ and the kids were getting hungry. DH threw his piece on the grill and it worked very well. I meant to take a photo of the cooked chicken but it was long gone before I had a chance...next time I guess!