Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you need a quick and easy recipe for Ketchup this one uses only a few ingredients. I take this recipe as a base and add various other ingredients as I go. I got this recipe somewhere from the Interwebs.
- 3 (70 g) cans tomato puree
- 125 ml sugar (normal large crystals)
- 100 ml water
- 125 ml vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small pan add water and vinegar and dissolve the sugar.
- When sugar is dissolved add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Don't taste it when it's warm, it horrible when it's warm. Let chill in fridge.
Our market shelves here in Canada overflow with excellent brands of ketchups. While I am into almost home made everything, with all good tasting for ketchups I go the easy route and pick up a bottle from the grocers shelf. (I do have an awesome old fashioned canning recipe but it's time consuming and one lot of work - there are so many great tasting ketcups available so no problem) That said I could not resist giving this easy to make recipe a try. Quite unlike my favourites - but it is easy if one should happen to need ketchup not want to make a trip to the store. Unfortunately it wouldn't work for my meatball sauce - but for some recipes it was okay.