Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
As seen in the Iron Chef America ground beef cook off with Cat Cora. I have now made this a couple of times and it is the best burger bar none that i have ever had. The ingredients seem different (i was tempted to not make the portobello saute and leave out the celery once) but they combine to be a burger sensation. Friends ate them and then realized they hadnt touched the ketchup!!!! I do use my own buns
- 4 slices apple-smoked bacon
- 4 medium portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup dark beer
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup bacon, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper
- brioche bread, loaf
- aged cheddar cheese
- roma tomato, sliced
- In a skillet, render the sliced bacon. Remove cooked bacon from pan and drain on paper towels, leaving rendered fat in the pan. Add the mushrooms, garlic and shallots to the same pan and cook about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the ground chuck, oil, beer, celery leaves, minced bacon, thyme and salt and pepper. Shape into patties. Grill the burgers to your desired doneness.
- Cut the brioche into slices that are about the same size as the patties and toast until golden brown.
- Add cheese, if using, to the burgers to melt. Top each burger with bacon, sautéed mushroom mixture and tomato slices, and place between slices of toasted brioche.
Delicious burgers - moist and so full of a wonderful blend of flavours - which we really enjoyed, served in warmed crispy ciabatta rolls, which are a much-loved favourite. I omitted the cheese (seemed like there were enough great flavours without it) and added some cucumber slices to the tomato slices, both sprinkled with lots of freshly ground black pepper. I used yummy rindless middle rashers of bacon from my Italian butcher. I would have loved to have tried apple-smoked bacon, but have never come across it. Certainly a recipe I'll be making again. Thanks for sharing another winner, Marramamba! Made for Gimme 5.
I'm sure this was just personal taste, but neither hubby or I liked the strong taste of these burgers. I made it exactly as stated except I couldn't find brioche bread so I bought fancy sandwich buns. Don't let me deter you from making these as it was probably just not to our taste. Thanks for posting Marra.
I spent an hour on the internet trying to find this recipe after I saw it made on Iron Chef! Was so excited when I saw it here. This is absolutely THE BEST BURGER I have ever had. Next time I will do the brioche - used regular buns and still incredible Thanks and kudos to MarraMamba and Recipezaar!!!!