Recipe by Ninna
Another of my daughter's tasty recipes. These bread cases are meant to have the edges uneven, corners sticking up, but they can be cut off at patty tin level if you want a neater appearance.
- 1 loaf white bread, square sliced
- 125 g light butter, melted
- 60 g light butter
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 2 cups skim evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped (green onions)
- 1 (250 g) can salmon, drained
- cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 (470 g) can asparagus, drained
- 60 g cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Using electric knife remove crusts.
- Press slices into patty tins, brush with butter.
- Bake in moderate oven 180degC (350degF)(lower if fan forced) 12 – 15mins or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in tins.
- Basic white sauce; melt butter and whisk in flour, cook for 1 minute; add milk slowly, off stove, while whisking; put back on stove and heat to boiling, whisking all the time; add mustard, pepper, salt, paprika, parsley and shallots - and whatever other ingredients you wish.
- Spoon prepared filling into cases, place on oven trays.
- Bake 180degC (350degF) unless fan forced, 12 mins or until filling is heated through.
- Salmon filling; Add salmon, and cheese if you are using, to basic filling.
- Asparagus filling; Stir until cheese melts so work quickly before basic sauce gets cool; add to basic sauce.