Recipe by busyozmum
Another wonderful recipe from a workmate back in the early 80's when I was first married.
Top Review by Sarah_Jayne
We enjoyed this as our main meal tonight. There is only two of us so I used half the meat but kept all the other ingredients the same and that actually worked out good for us. I appreciated that this was a mellow tasting sweet and sour. Sometimes I can find sweet and sour recipes a bit too sharp in their sweetness and particularly in the pineapple to the point where I pick it out. However, this time I thought the pineapple was the star of this dish. I am sure that comes from the slow cooking. I did find some of the instructions a bit confusing which I think comes from the ingredients list not being in order. I wasn't sure at times which ingredients I should be putting into the cornflour mixture that gets boiled. I think I figured it out though because it turned out really tasty :) Made for Aus/NZ Swap.
- 1 kg beef gravy, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim any fat off meat and place into casserole dish.
- Dissolve chicken cube in a little hot water. Place capsicum, tomato, celery and pineapple into casserole dish.
- Mix cornflour, mustard, sauce and dry ingredients with cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to boil and pour over the other ingredients in casserole dish. Cover and cook for 2 hours in a moderate oven (180C).
- Serve hot with steamed or boiled rice.