Found on Kuk's Kitchen blog. The poster is unnamed but the intro reads thus: "Chicken stew and appam was a staple at my home when guests came. But the stew I remember the most was one that my mum made on my cousin S's wedding day breakfast. Not sure if that special taste was due to the prior shallow frying of chicken pieces by my aunt E, my mum's special loving touch or the fact that it was such an enjoyable day with all of us cousins sitting around the breakfast table before our dear S chettan got married". Times shown are my guess only.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg chicken piece
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 green chilies (nothing more was specified, go with you like)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, juliened
- 4 cinnamon sticks (2 inches each)
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 200 ml thick coconut milk (or more to taste)
- 100 ml water
- 2 tablespoons oil, preferably coconut oil -
- salt and pepper
- fried cashew nuts (optional)
- fried onions, slices (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a pan and heat the whole spices.
- 2Add cleaned medium sized chicken pieces , preferably with bone, to this and let both sides turn partially golden brown.
- 3Add 100 ml of coconut milk together with 100 ml water to the pan.
- 4Add diced potatoes, green chilli, ginger, salt and pepper and cook on medium flame till chicken is cooked through.
- 5Add the rest of thick coconut milk and let it come to boil. Switch of flame at the first sign of boiling.
- 6If you wish, garnish with fried cashew nuts and onion slices.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Keralan Chicken Stew - a Syrian Christian Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.4
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 125.0 mg
- Sodium 133.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: