Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is from a restaurant in Atlanta, Georgia that specializes in International cuisine.
Make and share this Kerala Style Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 inch pieces
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 serrano chilies, seeded chopped
- 1 piece ginger, peeled thinly sliced (1x1 inch)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, scrubbed peeled halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 lb baby red potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 1⁄4 lb frozen pearl onions, halved thawed
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- fresh cilantro, rough chopped (garnish)
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches and adding remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil between batches, add meat and sear, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate.
- Stir in garlic, chiles, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoons pepper and turmeric; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and reserved meat; bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of pot. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and onions. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 15–20 minutes. Stir in coconut milk.
- Divide among bowls. Garnish with cilantro.