Recipe by mickeydownunder
Always inspired by what I read and see! I REALLY enjoyed this (in my opinion) restaurant quality recipe! Original recipe came from here: *** always give credit where it is due http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1326/kerala-prawn-curry This recipe can and will make (substituting prawns as well) all year!
Top Review by mersaydees
This is simple to put together and very flavorful. I used a full can of coconut milk and upped the other sauce ingredients because I prefer extra sauce. I served this over cooked rice. I also can't seem to find black mustard seeds, so I substituted the plain yellow ones; was tempted to toast them just in case that's what makes them black! Thanks, MickeyDownUnder, for a gourmet taste from afar! Made for Aussie Kiwi Recipe Swap #71.
- 2 red chilies
- 1 small onion
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 300 g scallops
- 270 ml coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor blend the chillies, ginger, and onion with 3 tbsp water – until mix forms a paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok, when hot add the mustard and fenugreek seeds, fry for 10 seconds. Add the chilli paste and fry for 5 minutes, adding water if it starts to stick to pan.
- Add turmeric and black peppercorns and fry the spices for a few seconds. Add the shrimp and the coconut milk. Cook until the scallops are done (about 3 - 4 minutes) is cooked through and the curry is thoroughly heated through. Splash lime juice on top, and finish with sprinkle of cilantro.and ENJOY!
- NOTE: I used 100 grams as a serving but you can easily increase that for a main dish.