Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, adapted from ifood.tv. This is a traditional dessert recipe for an Onam Sadhya in Kerala, using a pressure cooker to save time. The taste depends on raw, unpolished good-quality pink rice. Kerala Matta rice (also known as Rosematta rice, Palakkadan Matta rice, Kerala Red rice, or Red parboiled rice) is an indigenous variety of rice grown in Palakkad District of Kerala. Best bet: try an Indian market. If you can't find any of those, a non-sticky rice like Basmati will work, but it won't have as much of the Kerala flavor.
- Soak rice in water for one hour before making the payasam (pudding).
- Drain rice, and put in pressure cooker along with raw unboiled milk and sugar.
- Secure lid and on low heat, raise to low pressure, then adjust heat to stabilize at low pressure. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let pressure come down naturally.
- Transfer the payasam to a serving bowl. Mix in ground cardamom.
- In a fry pan, heat ghee and roast cashews in it.
- Spread the roasted cashews over the payasam to garnish. Serve.