Brian Holley's Note:
Wonderful stew for a cold day. The use of frozen vegetables makes this easy to prepare and cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf, crumpled
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 4 cardamoms, split open
- 3 cloves
- 20 curry leaves
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 lb small potato, unpeeled
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1Pound the ginger, turmeric and black pepper with mortar and pestle.
- 2Mix the sliced onions with the chilies.
- 3Heat the oil, and butter in a deep pan, add the mustard seeds, when they start to pop add the bay leaf. Stir. Add the onions and chillies, fry till just golden.
- 4Add the cinnamon, garlic and cardamoms, fry 1 minute Add the ginger paste, cloves and curry leaves. cook 1 minute.
- 5Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- 6Pour in the coconut milk and stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- 7Add the frozen vegetables and potatoes, sprinkle with garam masala. Cook till the potatoes are tender.
- 8Serve with good crusty bread as a super dish, or with boiled rice as a main course.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kerala Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (805 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1079.9
- Calories from Fat 433
- Total Fat 48.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 297.9 mg
- Sodium 409.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 115.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: