Recipe by Brian Holley
Wonderful stew for a cold day. The use of frozen vegetables makes this easy to prepare and cook.
Top Review by MrsMM
I am now adding stars!!! We are still eating leftovers of this that we'd frozen. DH will not stop talking about it. He is noticing flavors and depths and exclaiming- he VERY rarely does that. Another winner! This week we're trying Burmese Beef. Stay tuned!!! :) ** DH is from Kerala and his mom makes something like this all the time. He enjoyed it very much, as did I. I was really unsure, because the smell while cooking was off, and I need to figure out why. Although, he said it smelled great. I loved the use of frozen veggies. It added a sweetness and a pretty effect, as well. Having said that- the recipe doesn't state where to put the onions or the cloves! I just did them with the spices after the garlic/spices step and cooked them for a while, until they were soft and slightly caramelized.
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf, crumpled
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 4 cardamoms, split open
- 3 cloves
- 20 curry leaves
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 lb small potato, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the ginger, turmeric and black pepper with mortar and pestle.
- Mix the sliced onions with the chilies.
- Heat the oil, and butter in a deep pan, add the mustard seeds, when they start to pop add the bay leaf. Stir. Add the onions and chillies, fry till just golden.
- Add the cinnamon, garlic and cardamoms, fry 1 minute Add the ginger paste, cloves and curry leaves. cook 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables and potatoes, sprinkle with garam masala. Cook till the potatoes are tender.
- Serve with good crusty bread as a super dish, or with boiled rice as a main course.